Switching elastic colours every time you visit us for an adjustment can be a fun way to learn to love your braces. Different colours can transform your smile, but how do you know which colour to choose? Here are a few tips from our Coquitlam orthodontists to help you decide which colour of braces elastics to pick next.
How to Change the Colour of Your Braces
There are 3 main components that make up traditional orthodontic braces. Each part of your braces plays a unique role in the task of guiding your teeth to their corrected positions. Elastic tie bands are one of those essential componants.
Sometimes called ligatures, your elastic band ties go around your brackets and work to hold the archwire in place within the bracket slot.
Your ligature elastics will gradually lose their stretchiness and effectiveness over time. That's why your orthodontist will swap them out for new elastics at each of your braces adjustment appointments. Whenever you visit your orthodontist's office for an adjustment you will get the opportunity to change up your smile by choosing a new colour, or colours, for your braces.
These tiny elastics come in a rainbow of colours from silver (to match your brackets) to red to black and more. Changing the colour of your tie elastics allows you to change the look of your braces (and your smile) every time you visit us.
How to Choose Your Next Braces Colour
If you're finding it hard to decide which colour you should choose, you're not alone. Check out the tips below for help deciding the next colour you'd like to try.
What to Avoid:
- We suggest avoiding brown, black and muddy shades of green since these can make it look like you have food stuck in your braces.
- Generally speaking white isn't a great colour to choose because it can make your teeth appear more yellow.
What to Try:
- Go for your favourite colour!
- Are you a sports fan? Add your favourite team's colours to your smile and flash your support each time you cheer!
- Show your loyalty to your school by picking your school's colours.
- Don't want noticeable elastics? Look for a colour that compliments your complexion or eye colour.
- Celebrate the season! Try out red and green for Christmas, orange and black for Halloween, or pink and red for Valentine's day.
Try not to worry about which colour to pick next. You will have loads of adjustment appointments throughout your orthodontic treatment, so if don't like the colours you picked this time, remember that in a few days you'll be able to swap them out for something different.
Do you have questions about your braces, or your next adjustment appointment? Contact Coquitlam Family Orthodontics today. We're here to help you love your smile.