When you have braces, cleaning your teeth properly becomes even more important than before you had braces. Fortunately, brushing your teeth with braces is easy…it just requires a little patience!
You’ll begin by brushing your teeth the same way you did before you had braces. Here’s a refresher on how to brush with proper technique:
- Rinse your toothbrush and apply a small amount of tooth paste.
- Position your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums, and then to the tops and bottoms of your braces.
- Gently move the brush in short, circular strokes over your teeth and braces. Brush the fronts, backs and chewing surfaces of all your teeth.
- Be sure to brush your teeth thoroughly and methodically for at least two minutes: 30 seconds per “quadrant”.
- Finally brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
Now for the part that will be new to you...use an interdental brush (you can get one from your orthodontist or local pharmacy) to brush between the archwires of your braces and your teeth. Interdental brushes are shaped like tiny bottle brushes and make it easy to get into these hard to reach areas.
The video below gives a helpful demonstration of brushing with braces, and how to use an interdental brush.